Monday, July 13, 2009

The "New and Improved" library

The new library is ready with all its tom-tommed gadgets. Self check-in and checkout facilities and what not. The weird machine at the door evokes nostalgic feelings of multiplexes and malls one so misses here in Jamshedpur. But is all this tamasha worth anything. No if we go by my experiences. Twice. With all the euphoria of the child who has just been granted the ultimate toy I “checked-out” the books I had planned to borrow. Being the responsible citizen I am, I decided not to print the receipt. It was at this moment that my problems started. The guard at the gate refused to let me out without the receipt. I went back to the librarian who expressed her inability to help me in any way. “But I did borrow this book right in-front of you” I protested. “In fact, you have acknowledged the same”. “Nothing doing” she replied. I was hysterical. “They aren’t going to let me out ever. I am trapped in this library. I just hope they decide to make a movie on my plight; the way they made for Mehran Karimi Nasseri. Even better if they cast Tom Hanks.” After deliberating for what seemed like ages a brilliant idea struck me. What if I returned the book; got it issued again and took a print-out this time? The librarian seemed impressed. So there I went. The receipt felt like the declaration of independence. Out I went of the library and took a deep breath. It felt so good to be “free”.
SERVICE RATINGS
a> Reliability – 2
b> Assurance – 2
c> Tangibles – 2
d> Empathy – 1
e> Responsiveness – 1
[1 = Poor, 2 = Fair, 3 = Good, 4 = Very Good, 5 = Excellent]

No comments:

Post a Comment